The QuanTEEM study programme results from the collaboration of 3 international universities: Université Bourgogne Franche-Comté (UBFC), Technische Universität Kaiserslautern (TUK) and Aarhus Universitet (AU) with a strong experience in managing international master programmes in fundamental physics.
QuanTEEM students acquire deep knowledge of the core techniques of Quantum Technologies combined with interdisciplinary and intersectoral education targeting the potential of Quantum Technologies well beyond standard applications limited to physics area. The QuanTEEM curriculum is jointly tailored to comprise all the aspects of Quantum Technologies with a wide spectrum of advanced courses, mainly based on the established quantum pillars:
• Quantum computers and computation
• Quantum communication
• Quantum sensing and imaging
• Quantum simulation and multidisciplinary applications
complemented by other interdisciplinary courses. Our programme combines fundamental learning with advanced instrumental and technological laboratory practical via the state-of-the-art facilities provided by the consortium. The programme aims also at opening the mind on interdisciplinary topics on which Quantum Technologies start to apply, including technological and non-technological issues, such as information technology, chemistry, medicine, economy and humanities and social sciences. All courses in the QuanTEEM programme are taught in English.
In addition, the QuanTEEM programme offers a choice of specializations which defines different possible mobility tracks during the master. After the first semester of core courses at UBFC, complemented by an interdisciplinary winter school, the students can specialize in one of the two proposed tracks during the second semester, designed on the specific expertise of the partners: a specialization in photonics at UBFC and a more theoretical specialization (many-body quantum physics) at TUK. The third semester offers two specializations: integrated quantum optics at TUK and platforms for Quantum Technologies at AU.
QUANTEEM MASTER’S PROGRAMME
Below, find detailed description of the curriculum offered during the master !
SEMESTER 1 – Core Courses – UBFC
- Advanced Quantum Theory I – 5 ETCS
- Quantum Information Processing – 5 ETCS
- Advanced Computational Methods – 4 ETCS
- Signal Processing – 4 ETCS
- Quantum Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics applied to complex molecular systems – 4 ETCS
- Business & Entrepreneurship – 2 ETCS
- Soft Skills – 2 ETCS
- French Language & Culture – 2 ETCS
- Interdisciplinary Winter School – 2 ETCS
SEMESTER 2 – Specialization 1: Photonics, Nanophotonics and enabling Technologies – UBFC
- Laser Physics – 5 ETCS
- Non-linear Optical Technologies – 4 ETCS
- Opto-electronics and Optical Communications – 4 ETCS
- Nano-Optics, Nano-Physics and Plasmonics – 4 ETCS
- Guided Optics and Laser Technologies – 4 ETCS
- Micro & Nanofabrication – 3 ECTS
- Research Project – 6 ETCS
SEMESTER 2 – Specialization 2: Integrated Quantum Optics – RPTU
The semester starts with a one-month long Orientation Course including German language courses.
Specialized courses are not offered every year.
- Quantum Optics I + II – 8 ETCS
- Quantum Field Theory I + II – 8 ETCS
- German language & culture
- Solid State Theory (specialized) – 8 ETCS
- Quantum Physics Tutorial (specialized) – 0 ETCS
- Advanced Photonics II (specialized) – 4 ETCS
- Magnonics (specialized) – 8 ETCS
- Quantum Gases I (specialized) – 4 ETCS
- Cryptography (elective) – 6 ETCS
- Digital signal processing: algorithms and their implementation (elective) – 3 ETCS
- Functional programming (elective) – 8 ETCS
- Machine Learning I – Foundations (elective) – 8 ETCS
- Real-Time Systems I (elective) – 4 ETCS
SEMESTER 3 – Specialization 3: Many-Body Quantum Physics – RPTU
The semester starts with an optional one-month long Orientation Course including German language courses.
- Advanced Quantum Theory II – 8 ETCS
- Advanced Laboratory Course – 8 ETCS
- Research project – 6 ETCS
- Processor architecture (elective) – 4 ETCS
- Foundations of Software Engineering (elective) – 4 ETCS
- Digital Systems Architecture (elective) – 4 ETCS
- Functional programming (elective) – 4 ETCS
- Operating Systems (elective) – 4 ETCS
SEMESTER 3 – Specialization 4: Platforms for Quantum Technologies – AU
- Engineering of complex quantum systems – 5 ETCS
- Methods and platforms of quantum technology – 5 ETCS
- Physics and Astronomy Student Colloquium – 5 ETCS
- Danish language and Nordic culture – 2 ETCS
- Individual Project – Physics C (elective) – 5 ETCS
- Advanced Statistical Physics (elective) – 5 ETCS
- Surface and semiconductor physics (elective) – 10 ETCS
- Electronics and data acquisition (elective) – 10 ETCS
- Atomic, molecular and optical physics II (elective) – 10 ETCS
- General relativity (elective) – 5 ETCS
- Particle Physics II (elective) – 10 ETCS
- Quantum Mechanics II (elective) – 10 ETCS
- Space Missions and Space Technology (elective) – 5 ETCS
- Advanced MR Methods (elective) – 5 ETCS
- Quantum Information Processing (elective) – 10 ETCS
- Photonic Devices (elective) – 10 ETCS
SEMESTER 4 – Interships / Master thesis
Six-month research internship on cutting-edge topics related to Quantum Technologies in a broad sense. The research internship will be supervised by a member of QuanTEEM pedagogical team and performed in one of the labs of the consortium.
UNIVERSITÉ BOURGOGNE FRANCHE-COMTÉ (UBFC)
UBFC is a federal University hosting more than 60,000 students on 13 sites scattered across the BFC Region. QuanTEEM students are welcome on the beautiful Montmuzard campus in Dijon.
RHEINLAND-PFÄLZISCHE TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITÄT (RPTU)
RPTU emerged on January 1, 2023 as a merger of the TU Kaiserslautern and the University in Landau. With over 20,000 students and 160 degree programmes, RPTU is a place of top international research and an academic talent factory.
AARHUS UNIVERSITET (AU)
Second biggest University in Denmark with 38 000 students, home to over thirty internationally recognised research centres, AU is regularly ranked among the top 100 world’s best universities, and as one of the most beautiful universities in Europe.